Saturday, May 5, 2007

Frivolous but Fun

So, Evil Editor (see the link to the left) has posted a writing exercise that I've chosen to participate in. It was much harder than I thought to construct an entire, vivid scene in less than two hundred words. I came in at 195, I think, but it took some serious whittling and rethinking of imagery. (which, I suppose, was the point of the exercise)

I have also been toying with the idea of trying to write some short stories for submission to magazines. Never hurts to have previous credentials when you start the querying saga. Theo sent me links to Fiction Factor and Storyteller Magazine (Yes, he's Canadian, hence the Canadian link, but they do accept submissions from the US.)

I have been bemoaning the fact that I haven't had anything that wasn't a novel-length idea in eons, and thus I was sorely out of practice in writing short stories. However, in going through some of my old scribblings (I keep EVERYthing. I'm anal that way), I found the beginnings of an urban fantasy novel that I have since fallen out of love with. I may see if I can take that protagonist, and the opening chapter, and turn it into something shorter and sweeter, to begin submissions.

Whee, lookit me go!

No comments: