Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Greetings and Salutations

I am participating in AW's Blog Blitz, so a hello to any of those folk who swing by here to leave comments!

I got a measley 200 words done yesterday on the rewrite, but I think it's a good jumping off point for today's work.

Is it strange that I keep thinking of things to include? And I don't mean plot things. I mean details about this world I've created. Superstitions, religions, ceremonies... It probably won't get more than a brief mention from me, maybe once. But I think including it would make things richer. I mean, what society doesn't have fears and tall tales? And those stories can tell a lot about the people who believe so fervently in them.

I also keep thinking about descriptive things to include. For example, winter in a marble palace would be coooooooold. So, my characters will need heavy robes, even inside. They'll need bed warmers. (no, not nubile young girls. Perv.) Just, things like that.

Again, small things. Things that, when reading it, the reader won't probably even realize. But for me, it was a minor epiphany.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't always a matter of counting words. I suspect if I counted words today it would be around the fifty mark. Those ffity, though, were an outline of a key plot point that brought three strands together and was worth five thousand words on any other day.

Talia said...

i think it's part of the creative process to be constantly thinking of improvements.

i don't go by word count. i go by how i feel about what i wrote. sometimes i write a few words but i'm really happy with them. actually a good week is 60 mins writing LOL

Anonymous said...

I am reviewing memoirs, and reading mysteries, Laurie R. King's THE GAME, right now. What marks this particular King novel is that she has the best handle yet, of five prior Mary Russell novels, on description. Not too dense, and often fitted with the telling detail that fills out the picture and makes it richer.

You seem to be coming up with enriching detail. Sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

I am reviewing memoirs, and reading mysteries, Laurie R. King's THE GAME, right now. What marks this particular King novel is that she has the best handle yet, of five prior Mary Russell novels, on description. Not too dense, and often fitted with the telling detail that fills out the picture and makes it richer.

You seem to be coming up with enriching detail. Sounds good to me.