Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Progress, I haz it

I am not going to make my 60K goal by the end of the week, especially if they let us go from the Real Job(tm) early on Friday. (that happens pre-holiday weekend, sometimes. Please let it happen) But I am making progress, so I'm not too torn up about it. Better than missing a goal because I'm sitting there staring at the blinking cursor of doom.

Almost done with chapter 20. Ideally, I'd like another thousand words on it, but if I get another 700, I'll be happy. And I think I should be able to accomplish that fairly easily. Chapter 21 is going to at least start off with a bang, 'cause I know how I want it to start. How it proceeds from there, though, that's the mystery. And I'm not entirely sure that chapters 20 and 21 shouldn't be in reverse order. I'll have to let my betas hash that one out once I'm done with the writing.

I'm a few pages away from being done with Escapement. This would be the sequel to Mainspring by Jay Lake. (reminds me, I really need to update my "blogs read" list, 'cause I read Jay's all the time and he gets no credit here. Bad me, no donut) I have to say, I think I like Escapement better than the first one. Possibly because I spent so much of the first one struggling to let go of my preconceived notions of how the world should be and just accept the world he's invented. It's a WONDERFUL world, and part of me is a bit jealous that I didn't come up with something so intricately complex. (another part of me is using it as motivation to try and polish the world of Project 3 so it can at least compete respectably)

I have a feeling that this weekend is going to be a chaotic comedy of terror, and therefore I shall get nothing accomplished. There are a variety of festivals happening, birthdays occurring, and out-of-town guests descending. It should be just enough to remind me why I don't do well around humans, and I'll climb right back into my hidey-hole.

Oh, and for a last-minute side note: I received a form rejection on one of my outstanding partials yesterday. Even those have lost some of their sting. Either I've become immune, or...well...I don't know what the other choice is.

No comments: