Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Woot!

Yes it's a word. By the powers invested in my English degree, I am allowed to use/coin words of questionable parentage. I am also fond of jackassery, and asshatery.

I finished chapter 19 today, AND broke the 30K mark in word count! Come on, dance with me!

Four more chapters to go, and I'm still hoping to hit the 40K mark with this first draft. You ought to see my outline, it's all colorful and stuff. I use blue to denote things I want to add/change in the second draft, green to keep track of my word count, and red to highlight the finished chapters. It's a veritable rainbow! I suppose, to denote finished chapters in the second draft, I'll have to come up with a different highlight color. Purple, maybe. Royal purple.

I did hit a bit of a hiccup today, as I'm laying the final clues for my plot twist. What if my twist isn't nearly as clever as I think it is? I mean, I don't mind people figuring it out before the big reveal. That's half the fun of reading! But I don't want them to see it coming WAY too early and say "Oh wow, that was dumb!" There's a fine line between the reader outsmarting you, and the reader thinking you're a raving moron.

Anyway, that's my ramble for today. I'ma go watch it rain.

No comments: