Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sinuses, Allergies, and Writing

I have a headache. I've had it, off and on, for probably the last five days. It's not a horrible, incapacitating headache. It's one that's just there enough to be annoying. I think it's due to the absolutely horrible allergy season we're having here in Misery...er...Missouri. I never thought I'd be praying for the first hard freeze.

Today, I finished chapter 18. I say it's finished because I'm sick of looking at it. It's going in the pile of "chapters I really don't like, but had to finish". I'm looking forward to working on the next chapter. Should be more action, more stuff simply HAPPENING.

I may still meet my goal of finishing this first draft by the end of September. I know, I know, you're eyeing the word count at the left and thinking "Uh...but that's no where near 80K words..." I know this. I'm hoping to get 40K with this first draft, and then flesh everything out in the second draft. This is my first attempt at writing in this fashion, so it remains to be seen how it turns out.

I have to say though, the hardest thing to learn has been something that I see repeated often over at Absolute Write. "Allow yourself to write crap." If you don't, you spend your whole life editing three pages, and you never get anywhere.

No comments: