Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Titles

I am lousy with titles. I don't know if you've noticed, but titling my blog posts is even taxing the limits of my creativity.

My first work-in-progress (stall-in-progress?) has a "working" title, because I had to call it SOMEthing. Especially after I started the second one, when saying "my book" would no longer suffice.

It's the second one that's picking at my brain today. Not only do I want to come up with a title, but I would also like to come up with a vague series title as well. (y'know, for when the unbelievable happens and folks want to read MORE) I'm looking for something vaguely Japanese sounding. Something with a samurai flavor, but not...too. I have no idea if that made sense.

Granted, I know that if/when anything of mine gets published, the publisher is just as likely to throw my title out the window and come up with one of their own. (this is why Jim Butcher gave us Death Masks instead of Holy Sheet.) But still, the first title you present to an agent/publisher should say something about the work and give them an idea of what to expect.

Apparently, they can expect a great deal of nothing from me.

No comments: