Monday, September 15, 2008

Quite Pleased

I got one of my new scenes done today (for a whopping 1500 word addition to the manuscript), and I am very happy with what I've done. In this one at least, I know I've recaptured the protagonist's voice. I've been worried about getting back into it, since the voice for Project 3 is soooo very different, and face it, I've been away from Project 2 for quite some time at this point.

This brings me to almost 74K total word count, and I'm very excited about it. I knew this puppy was short when I finished it the first time, so anything I can add (without adding "filler") makes me just giddy. Looking ahead at the two new scenes I have left to write and the other changes I'm slipping in here and there... I think I can break 77K easily.

And it's a darned good thing I'm back to work again. I had an absolutely slack-tastic weekend. Seriously, I sat and did a North and South marathon. (I have loved those movies since childhood, and a lot of it makes so much more sense now that I'm an adult and I can grasp all the social implications of stuff) This also led to a half hour discussion with my five-year-old explaining just what slavery is. She was properly horrified.

3 comments:

BeshterBooks said...

My history dork is going off, woot!

North and South was the one with Patrick Swayze wasn't it? Not to be confused with the Blue and the Gray, which was made at the same time, about the same damn war, but with a totally different emphasis, (less sex I think). I never remember as it's been eons since I've seen either.

Just don't make your five-year-old watch War and Rememberance with you and have to try and explain the genocide of the Jews to her, *gives father evil glare*. OK, I wasn't five, but still, I wasn't old enough to be watching gas chambers either.

Loquacious Me said...

Yup, very early Patrick Swayze. (and a who's who of other cameos and supporting roles)

BeshterBooks said...

I remember Kirsty Alley...that's it.